How Can I Get My Stimulus Money From My Ex?

At Cate & Brough, we are spending a lot of time currently solving issues related to the latest stimulus checks. The United States government has been sending out stimulus checks since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic to help citizens as the country has been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. The third round of checks for $1,400 each were also the first to come with full checks to all dependent children with a Social Security number, regardless of their age.

We know that the stimulus checks have put currently divorcing or recently divorced families in a complicated situation. We also know how important this money is to families in South Carolina. In this blog, we will attempt to answer most of the common questions about the current status of the stimulus checks.

Who Gets the Stimulus Checks?

The stimulus checks are sent to whoever filed the taxes for the last year (either 2019 or 2020, whichever was filed more recently.) If you put your direct deposit information on file when you last filed taxes, your stimulus checks should be deposited straight into your bank account. If you did not, you will receive the checks in the mail. If you filed jointly, they will go to the bank accounts or address that you set to receive your tax refund when you filed.

What Can I Do If My Stimulus Check Was Deposited into My Ex’s Bank Account?

If your ex-spouse receives your portion of the stimulus check, they need to give it to you. The purpose of the stimulus checks, as sent by the United States government, is to help citizens as the country has been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. If the stimulus check that was intended for you has ended up in anyone else’s hands, it is important that they give it to you.

Who Gets the Child’s Stimulus Check?

When your divorce is finalized, there should be a ruling addressing who gets to file the children as dependents for tax benefit purposes. However, the truth is that no one knows for certain the set policy for which parent should receive their child’s stimulus check in this situation, since the court has not yet ruled one way or another.

How Can I Get Help With This?

At Cate & Brough, we are currently spending a lot of time helping to make sure the families of the Upstate get their stimulus check money divided properly. If you are having any issues with getting your share, contact Cate & Brough today. We are Spartanburg’s family law firm, and we are here to help your family get through this.

The following two tabs change content below.

Cate & Brough, P.A.

At Cate & Brough, we all have personal experience with family law and family court. We know more than just what the law says about your issue – we know what you are going through.

Latest posts by Cate & Brough, P.A. (see all)

%d bloggers like this: